Roasted butternut squash has a silky, sensitive texture that pairs wonderfully with the light, airy quinoa, the crisp, fresh spinach, and the crunchy walnuts. A homemade balsamic vinaigrette adds tangy flavor to this colorful autumn salad. This colorful and nutritious butternut squash quinoa salad is a must-have for your Thanksgiving table.
The ingredients in this recipe for roasted butternut squash salad are simple, but when combined, they make a complete, vibrant, and illuminating salad.
Let’s jump right into the Butternut Squash and Quinoa Recipes.
Butternut Squash and Quinoa Recipes
This butternut squash quinoa salad is a Thanksgiving dinner winner due to its abundance of colors, textures, and nutrients. Honestly, that will likely be the healthiest option on the table that evening.
Let’s know the whole recipe so that you can enjoy it too!
- Preparation – 20 Mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Total: 60 mins
- 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups quinoa
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 ounces of baby spinach
- Turn the oven on to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place a rack in the middle. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the squash, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the thyme, 2 teaspoons of salt, and pepper to taste. Combine until the squash is uniformly coated. The squash should be spread out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- The squash should be roasted until a paring knife can be inserted with minimal resistance, approximately 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Toast the pistachios on a small baking sheet for about 5 minutes or until aromatic.
- In the meantime, rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve with cold water. Bring the liquid to a boil, then stir in the quinoa. Cover and simmer until a little white spiral appears in each grain, approximately 9 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a medium mixing basin. Combine the left 2 tbsp of olive oil, pistachios, cranberries, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
- Toss the spinach with the hot squash in a large mixing bowl until slightly wilted. Toss in the quinoa mixture one more time. Warm or at room temperature, serve.
How to Store Leftover Butternut Squash and Quinoa:
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight jar for up to 4 days. You may eat them cold straight from the fridge or construct a salad with greens and a touch of salsa. If you want the dish warm, quickly reheat it in the microwave.
Tips For Butternut Squash and Quinoa:
- This quinoa with butternut squash can be seasoned with cumin, chili powder, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
- Preparing in advance is one of the finest methods to prepare for the holidays or a hectic work week. This quinoa dish can be prepared two days prior to baking.
- Wait at least 30 minutes at room temperature before placing it in the oven. Alternately, place the pan in a cold oven and allow it to warm up while the oven preheats.
This was all about butternut squash and quinoa recipes. A dish like this is also ideal for meal-prepping for the entire week. It’s ideal for days when you’re pressed for time but yet want something healthful and packed with vegetables.
We hope you like the recipe. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!